Father: Daniel SEARS
- BIRTH: 29 NOV 1752, Chatham
- DEATH: 23 OCT 1816, Boston,,MA
- BURIAL: ,,,279
Mother: Fear FREEMAN
- MARRIAGE: 6 JUN 1786, Providence
- David SEARS
_Daniel SEARS _
_Daniel SEARS _|
| |_Sarah HOWES __
|_Fear FREEMAN _|
!S.P. May p.167-8 Mr. Sears removed to Boston with his mother in 1763, and was
brought up by his step-father, Samuel Ballard, who lived on Common st., now
Tremont st., between Mr. Cole's and Mrs. Swan's houses, being the third house
from Winter st., nd corner of Turnagain lane, now Temple place.
He became one of the most successful merchants in Boston, having his counting
room on Central Wharf.
In 1775 he sailed for London in company with Daniel Greene and others, ( who
desired to avoid the troublous times consequent upon the outbreak of the
Revolution,) traveled upon the Continent during several years, and made his
business connections useful to his country.
Upon his return, he narrowly escaped capture by an English frigate.
He engaged to some extent in privateering, and in the summer of 1779 fitted
out the "Mars," of 22 guns, under command of Capt. Ash.
During the Presidency of the elder Adams, he was chairman of a Com. of the
Citizens of Boston for building a frigate, the "Boston," at their private
expense, to be presented to the Federal government, himself subscribing $3,000.
He was in favor of Jay's treaty, and suffered considerable loss by French
spoliations prior to 1800.
Mr. Sears was an able financier, and Director of the First Bank of the United
States from its commencement to its termination; was often a referee in
intricate cases of equity and mercantile usage, and his whole career was marked
by incorruptible integrity.
That large tract of land in Maine, known as the "Waldo Patent," having been
confiscated by the government, was sold; three-fourths to Gen. Knox, his wife
owning the remaining fourth, and by him mortgaged to his sureties, Gen. Lincoln,
and Col. Jackson, who assigned the mortgage to Israel Thorndike, David Sears and
William Prescott of Boston, who foreclosed it.
The territory was originally 30 miles square, and included all the islands of
Penobscot Bay, the sites of the towns of Searsmont, Prospect, Knox and Searsport
Our institutions do not readily lend themselves to the maintenance of a great
absentee proprietor, in remote parts of the country.
It was not an easy matter to secure a competent agent, and still less to deal
with refractory tenants, or with that numerous class of settlers who persuade
themselves that they ought to be allowed to occupy, rent free, the soil they
have begun by appropriating.
It is therefore to be wondered that the heirs availed themselves of
opportunities for selling this estate, and the only portion now remaining un-
alienated is the well known Brigadier's (now Sears)Island.
Mr. Sears was a benevolent man, and a contributor to many charities.
He was founder of the "Widow's Fund," in Trinity Church, in which he was a
worshipper, and in which he was honored as a benefactor.
A too copious indulgence in that favorite repast of the olden time, a a
"Saturday salt-fish dinner," brought on serious indigestion, followed by a
congestion which proved fatal.
He fell dead as he was getting into his carriage, in front of his residence
on the upper corner of Beacon and Somerset streets, 23 Oct 1816.
Dr. John Sylvester John Gardiner, then Rector of Trinity Church, preached his
funeral sermon from the test: "There is but one step between me and death," in
allusion to the fact that Mr. Sears had fallen on the step of his carriage in a
fit of apoplexy.
His wife, Ann Winthrop, was a dau. of John Still Winthrop, by his first wife
Jane Borland, and a lineal descendant in the fifth degree of the old first
Governor, and was an elder sister of Lieut.-Gov. Thomas Lindall Winthrop.
GED2HTML v2.4a-UNREGISTERED (1/1/96)
Thu Jul 25 12:38:33 1996