Descendants of Richard Sears

Seventh Generation


4548. Henry Lee Sears (John , Richard , Silas , Joseph , Silas , Richard ) was born 24 Mar 1820 in Hinesburg, VT. was buried in , 1917.

S.P. May p. 455 Is a carpenter in Monkton, VT

Henry married Julia Fidelia Wheaton on 7 Nov 1842 in Monkton, VT. Julia was born 20 Mar 1824 in Monkton, VT. She died 24 Aug 1872.

They had the following children:

+ 7617 M i Cassius Clay Sears
  7618 M ii Caspar Henry Sears was born 12 Oct 1845 in Monkton, VT. He died 19 Jun 1865 and was buried in , 3275.

S.P. May p.455 served 3 years in Co C, 9th Regt VT Vols
+ 7619 M iii Fred. Eugene Sears
  7620 F iv Mary Jane Sears was born 20 Aug 1854 in Monkton, VT. was buried in , 3277.
        Mary married Dewitt Thompson on 31 Aug 1886 in Monkton, VT. Dewitt was born 1850 in .
  7621 M v Harry Vidito Sears was born 20 Jun 1857 in Monkton, VT. was buried in , 3278.

S.P. May p.455 he is a farmer and teacher
        Harry married Aurelia A Finney on 4 Oct 1883 in Bristol, VT. Aurelia was born 4 Oct 1858 in Monkton, VT.

4549. Mary Sears (Richard , Richard , Silas , Joseph , Silas , Richard ) was born 25 Dec 1798 in Rome, Oneida, NY. She died 27 Jul 1832 in Albany, NY and was buried in , 1918.

BIRTH: Letter from Carol Aldrich, Tulsa, OK, to Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
1675-1989; Letter dtd 18 May 1994; ; copy in poss of Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
married Alfred Astey, one daughter.

Mary married Alfred Estey on 10 Nov 1825 in Rome, NY. Alfred was born 1794 in .

S.P. May p.307 A Scotchman

Alfred and Mary had the following children:

  7622 F i Harriet Estey was born 1826 in . She died in Camden, D.S.P., NY.

4550. Richard Sears (Richard , Richard , Silas , Joseph , Silas , Richard ) was born 21 Aug 1801 in Rome, Oneida, NY. He died 27 Jan 1852 in Dundee, Kane, IL and was buried in , 1919.

S.P. May p.457 After living for a time in Camden, NY, Mr Sears removed in fall
of 1837 to Reading township, Hillsdale co., MI, and later to Kane co., IL, near
Dundee, where his wife died in 1848. He then broke up housekeeping and went to
Jefferson co., WI, leaving his children in IL provided with good homes in
different families. He was married in 1852 to Mrs Amy Fuller, taken sick the
same day, and died seven days after; was a farmer.

BIRTH: Letter from Carol Aldrich, Tulsa, OK, to Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
1675-1989; Letter dtd 18 May 1994; ; copy in poss of Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
Married Almyra Howard.

Richard married (1) Almira Howard on 2 Feb 1831 in Rome, NY. Almira was born 8 Oct 1809 in Rome, NY. She died 14 Jun 1848 in Dundee, Kane, IL.

BIRTH: Letter from Carol Aldrich, Tulsa, OK, to Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
1675-1989; Letter dtd 18 May 1994; ; copy in poss of Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
She shows b. date as 21 Aug 1807 and d. date as 20 Aug 1859.

Richard and Almira had the following children:

+ 7623 F i Cordelia M Sears
+ 7624 F ii Mary Catharine "Kate" Sears
  7625 F iii Lois Ann Sears was born 29 Oct 1836 in Camden, NY. She died 20 Sep 1846 in Dundee, IL and was buried in , 3281.
+ 7626 M iv John M Sears
  7627 M v Darius Martin Sears was born 20 Jul 1842 in Reading, MI. He died 3 Apr 1843 and was buried in , 3283.
+ 7628 M vi Henry Bela Sears
  7629 M vii George Evernett Sears was born 23 May 1848 in Dundee, IL. was buried in , 3285.

S.P. May p.457 Was adopted by Arnold Locke, and took that name; he lives near
Winnecoma, WI

Richard also married (2) Diamy "Amy" Tubbs, daughter of Peter Tubbs and Catherine Zimmer, on 20 Jan 1852 in , Kane co, IL. Diamy was born 30 Sep 1809 in , Schoharie Co, NY. She died 18 Feb 1877 in , Jefferson co, NY.

Jean Sweningsen- Her fathers will shows "Diama".

4552. Silas Sears Rev (Richard , Richard , Silas , Joseph , Silas , Richard ) was born 8 Aug 1806 in Rome, Oneida, NY. He died 20 Aug 1859 in Rome, Jefferson, WI and was buried in Rome, WI, 1921.

S.P. May p.457 On the 22d Oct 1843, Mr Sears with his wife and four children
removed from Camden, NY to Rome, Jefferson co., WI. They suffered greatly from
the lateness and rigor of the season, and lost two children by small-pox.
Settled in their new home they had a severe struggle to maintain themselves for
the first two years, until they could get the ground cleared, and crops planted
and harvested.
In 1858, at the request of her pastor, Mrs Sears wrote a long and pathetic
account of their trials and tribulations, which was read to the Sunday School
in Rome, WI, and which I much regret not having space to print here.
Mr Sears was for many years an honored local preacher in the Methodist

BIRTH: Letter from Carol Aldrich, Tulsa, OK, to Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
1675-1989; Letter dtd 18 May 1994; ; copy in poss of Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
Ms. Seeley was his second wife. These are probably by his first wife. He and
Ms Seeley had 9 children. He was a minister in the Methodist church. Died age
53 years 25 days. BURIED: Crowder Cemetery

OBITUARY: Letter from Carol Aldrich, Tulsa, OK, to Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
1870-1989; Letter dtd 5 Jul 1994; ; copy in poss of Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
From the Jefferson Co Union: 1921 Residence, Etc
On the 22nd of October, 1843, Mr Sears, with his wife and four children
removed from Camden, NY, to Jefferson co, WI. They suffered greatly from the
lateness and rigor of the season, and lost two children by small-pox. Settled
in their new home, they had a severe struggle to maintain themselves for the
first two years. In 1858 Mrs Sears wrote a long and pethetic account of their
trials and tribulations, which was read to the Sunday School in Rome, WI.
Parts of this story were published in 1880 in the "History of Jefferson
County." THe original was probably never returned to her as it has become lost
to the family.
Mr Sears located in what is now the town of Sullivan, Jefferson co, WI, 2 Jan
1844. Built the first tavern in the village of Rome in 1848. Sold it to Peter
Tubbs, probably in '52 or '53, and bought a farm west of Rome where he died in
Mr Sears was for many years an honored local preacher in the Methodist

On receiving a copy of "The Days of Modern Rome," Millard Seely wrote as
"But the Oak and Maples sing:
"Twist ye, twine ye: even so,
Mingle shades of joy and woe,
Hope, and fear, and peace, and strife,
In the thread of human life.

While the mystic twist is spinning,
And the infant's life beginning,
Dimly seem through twilight bending,
Lo, what varied shapes attending!

Passions wild, and follies vain,
Pleasures soon exchanged for pain;
Doubt, and jealousy, and fear,
In the magic dance appear.

Now they wax, and now they dwindle,
Whirling with the whirling spindle.
Twist ye, twine ye! even so,
Mingle human bliss and woe. 'Scott.

"There is one thing I must tell you about your grand-father (Rev Silas
Sears)-- I don't think he ever had an enemy. He was a good, Christian man.
"You spoke about the stone walk on your father's old place. Aunt Betsey
Sears laid that walk with her own hands. Millard Seely.

?? Line 155: (New PAF RIN=17)
2 SOUR Carol Aldrich, My #7738 Prodigy #AMMM01A sent information on Betsey

?? Line 156: (New PAF RIN=17)
2 SOUR Carol Aldrich, My #7738 Prodigy #AMMM01A sent information on Betsey
3 CONT Sears, who is a daughter of Daniel Seeley and Betsey Doolittle.

?? Line 157: (New PAF RIN=17)
2 SOUR Carol Aldrich, My #7738 Prodigy #AMMM01A sent information on Betsey
3 CONT Feb. 05, 1994

Silas married Betsey M Seelye, daughter of Daniel Seeley and Betsey Doolittle, on 17 Feb 1831 in Westmoreland, Oneida Co. Ny., NY. Betsey was born 31 Aug 1813 in Westmoreland, Oneida Co, NY. She died 17 May 1909 in Star, (LA FARGE), WI and was buried in Stark Twp, WI.

Jean Sweningsen-History of Sullivan Town N (Jefferson co, WI)
CONFLICT: Death date also 1901!

BIRTH: Letter from Carol Aldrich, Tulsa, OK, to Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
1675-1989; Letter dtd 18 May 1994; ; copy in poss of Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
She was one of 18 children. Included is a story she wrote in 1858 for a book
printed in 1880 titled "The History of Jefferson County." Some of the story is
in the narrative of the Sears Family written by Lottie Cartwright, but her
version is also included. Update added later. I have more.
!DEATH: Conflict - Carol Aldrich shows d. 1901.
!BURIAL: Letter from Carol Aldrich, Tulsa, OK, to Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
1675-1989; Letter dtd 5 Jul 1994; ; copy in poss of Ray Sears, Duncan,
OK; Dan Seeley found out from the Vernon Historical Society that Betsey was
buried in Chapel Hill Cemetery, Stark Twp, WI page 24, row 14. Her brother and
two of his kids are also buried there.
There's a quilt made by Betsey Sears on display in a museum in CA. It's been
appraised at $30,000.



In the quiet village of Rome lives an aged lady, athwart whose
path of life has fallen a multitude of sorrows. Everyone knows "Aunt Betsy"
Sears. She is sixty-four years of age, and lives alone in a neat little room,
over the door of which, on the outside, is this sign: "Job Printer." In
one corner of the room are three or four cases of type, each letter
standing on end. "Aunt Betsy" has never "learned the boxes," as types are
ordinarily "laid" but has a system of her own, as unique as it is original.
She never saw any one "set type," and does not even know the
advantage of using a "rule." Nevertheless she has managed to acquire a
sufficient knowledge of the art of printing to enable her to "print a job with
neatnes and dispatch," and she frequently has card and circular work to
perform for the businessmen of Rome. She "empties her stick by sliding the
type from the open portion of that instrument upon a piece of tin, from
which it is transferred to a wooden box half and inch deep, and then, "keyed
up," as she expresses it. The ink is then applied with a " brayer" almost
as old as "Aunt Betsy's" business card, written and printed by herself:


-To the north the fifth door
From Frank Giffords store
You will find the old lady is living, All alone by herself,
For the sake of the pelf,
Attention to buisness she's giving.

Some years ago Mrs. Sears wrote an account of the trials and
tribulations experienced by herself and family when they came to Wisconsin. It
is a true picture of pioneer life, vividly portrayed, and full of the sad
impressions that only can be wrought upon the minds of those who braved the
dangers and trials of early days and suffered the adversities that beset the
pioneeer in almost every clime. The extensive length of the paper will not
admit of it's publication in it's entireity in these already overcrowded pages,
but most of the essential parts are given:
On the 22nd of Octobor, 1843, we left our former home in the
town of Camden, County of Oneida, State of New York, with our four little
children, to go to the Far West. Arriving at Buffalo, we found that no vessel
was going through to Milwaukee short of three or four days, but the "Julia
Palmer" was about to sail for Detroit, and were induced to take passage upon
her. We were told that we would find plenty of boats at Detroit that would
take us through to Milwaukee, but when we arrived at the Michigan metropolis,
we found it necessary to wait for the same vessels we left at Buffalo, and when
they came they were so heavily loaded they could not take us on board, and it
was the last trip they were going to take.
After remaining in Detroit five days, at a cost of $ 10.00, there
came a man to the tavern with a team and double wagon without any cover on it.
He was accompanied by his wife, and they were going to Milwaukee. They agreed
to take our family through for $20.00, we to bear our own expenses; so on the
3rd of November, we set out upon a journey in an open wagon for which we were
little prepared. The ground had frozen very hard the night before, and upon it
had fallen about four inches of snow. For two weeks, we had very severe
weather, when it moderated and the ground and snow thawed together; then it was
nothing but mud. This we traveled around Lake Michigan through snow and mud
and rain and shine, until we reached Racine. There we heard that the smallpox
prevailed in Milwaukee, and so we hired the man to take us across the country
to Prairieville (now Waukesha). I had two brothers living at Genesee, in that
direction, but when we got within three miles of their place we heard that they
also had the smallpox in both families, and had each lost a child with it.
There we were, worn out with fatigue, and my little children sick from the time
we first put foot on the steamboat at Buffalo, looking forward to an hour of
rest, the society of friends and a temporary home; then in a moment to have our
hopes dashed to earth-it was too much. It seemed as though I must sink down
and die. We had then traveled eighteen days, and I had carried my little babe,
twenty-two months old, almost all the way in my lap; for it was so cold I had
to keep her under my cloak. The youngest of our three little boys were very
ill, requiring the constant attention of his father, who frequently stopped by
the roadside with him, and was then compelled to run to overtake the wagon; for
our teamster displayed his kindness by refusing to stop for anything or
anybody. When we stopped at night, instead of rest I had to cook our suppers,
for it would have cost all we had to live in the taverns. When we heard the
terrible news of my brothers misfortunes, we stopped at a house on the road and
had our children vaccinated. We reniained over night in the house with a very
kind family. I shall never forget how I felt when the good mother spread awarm biscuit with butter and divided it amoung my half-starved children. It
brought the tears of joy to my eyes. It was the first morsel, except one, that
they had received without money, in five weeks.
In the morning, my husband set out for my brothers' homes, but
before reaching there he met one of them going to Prarieville. They were
overjoyed to learn of our safe arrival. They had expected us
three weeks before, not having any intelligence of us, had given us up for
lost, and believed we were drowned while crossing the lake. My brother said
there was no danger of our taking the smallpox; as they were well of it, and
had thoroughly disinfected their houses. So we went home with him, but it
seemed to me as if I was carrying my children to the grave. When we arrived,
we found that his wife was nursing a lady with the disease, and therefore we
were right in the midst of it. Within nine days, I was taken with varioloid;
two days later my little girl was taken sick, and the next day our youngest boy
took his bed with the terrible disease. The day before I was taken, my husband
started off to look for a farm, and, as he remained away longer than we
expected he would, we began to feel uneasy about him. When we started from
Detroit, we gave orders to have our goods sent to Milwaukee on a schooner, but
up to the time we were taken down with the smallpox, we had not heard anything
from them. Never before nor since have I experienced such feelings of sorrowand misery. Three of us sick with a dreadful disease, my husband absent, I
knew not where, and every indication that our meager stock of clothing and
beding had been lost on the lake. While I lay groaning in my utter
wretchedness, this thought occurred to my mind:

"The darkest time, I have heard them say,
Is just before the break of day."

I stopped weeping and began to hope. Thought I, it may be it
that my husband is safe; the children are not dead yet, and possibly , some
lucky wave may waft our goods ashore. That day, my husband came home; the
children began to appear better, and my brother came from Milwaukee and said
he had found our goods and that they were on the way home. I began to take
courage and think that all would yet be well. But alas! how soon are blooming
hopes cut off. On Wednesday, my husband came home full of bright prospects.
He had found a good location, and had stayed
and put up a house, calculating to move his family into it the next Monday,
little dreaming of what situation we were in at home. When he came, there we
were in a pile, three of us in one bed, and nine of us in a little shanty 12 by
14 feet in size. Our two sick children looked so loathsoame we could scarcely
bear the sight of them. The next day, they grew worse, and on Sunday, at 11
o'clock, the litle girl died; on Monday, at 12 o'clock her little brother
followed her. It had always seemed to me that if I should ever lose a child, I
could never let it go out of my arms, but now two of my loves were dead, and
what mother cannot imagine my feelings when I looked upon their innocent faces,
covered with the repulsive marks of a terrible disease? They must be hurriedinto the ground as quick as possible, and I not able to see them buried. But
God strengthened my almost exhausted endurance, and I became resigned to my
fate. I believe He is too wise to be mistaken, too good to be unkind.
Two weeks from the day my little boy died, we started, in
company with the family of my brother, Davis Seely, for Bark Woods. By some
means, the teams took different roads, and we became seperated. Our team came
through Waterville, while my brother's went through the bluffs. I was very
febble from my recent sickness, and everthing seemed to conspire against us as
we wended our way through the woods, with no guide save now and then a freshly
marked tree. At the end of the second day, we reached our destination; but
what had become of my brother and his family? This annoyed us very much all
night. The next day we saw Davis coming slowly through the woods but the
woeful look upon his face told us plainer than words that something terrible
had happened. His little four year old boy had been killed the day before by a
leaning tree under which the teamster drove. We thought that our cup of sorrow
was already full, but now it was running over. Picture to yourself a family of
weary emigrants, looking forward with eager eyes and longing hearts to the time
when they should reach their final destination, and be sheltered from the
chilling rain that was descending in torrents upon them, and urging forward
their jaded beasts as fast as their weary limbs and the roughness of the ground
would permit. Suddenly there is a crash. Oh ! what a sound to the father's
ears, when, from a distance in the rear, he sees it is the head of his son.
He has seen the danger and hallooed to the teamster, but too late. He rushes
forward and catches the lifeless body of his boy. "Oh ! Mr. De Jayne," he
says "you have killed my son! you have killed my son!"
Onward, through the mud and brush, he bore his bleeding child,
in agony too great to give vent to tears. They found their way to a little
shanty belonging to Mr. Tinney, and there watched and mourned the remainder of
the night. ***** The next day, the funeral took place from Mr. Crowders
Tavern. I believe it was the first meeting of any kind ever held in these
When we left my brother Dempster's on the 1st of January,
1844, he calculated to come out in a few days and bring us some provisions.
Consequently, we did not fetch anything but a bag of flour and about a pound of
butter that I put in my work-basket. But Dempster did not come for four weeks,
and during that time, we had very short allowances. We succeeded in getting
three bushels of flat turnips, at 18 pence a bushel. This was all we could get
for love or money. Potatoes, there were none to be had, and as for meat, I
borrowed three pounds of pork of an old settler, and I used to cut two very
small slices of it and fry them, and take a little flour and water and make a
sort of paste gravy with which to moisten our bread and turnips. I did not
dare to cook but two turnips apiece, and they were very small, and I did not
dare to peel them before they were cooked, because it would be such a waste.
So, with our two turnips and bread and paste we made our breakfast, and with a
little water porridge made of "middlings" and sweetened with black molasses,
and very poor at that, and a slice of toasted bread, we made our dinner. For
supper we had stewed dried apples and bread, and sometimes for a change, we ate
our bread plain. This kind of fare lasted for four weeks, when my brother came
and brought us some flour, a "porker" that weighed 160 pounds, and forty pounds
of butter that we brought with us from York State. Then we had something to
When we arrived at Mr. Crowder's we had but $20.00. Our shanty
had neither floor nor windows, so we were obliged to stay at the tavern till
our bill amounted to $3.00; then we had $17.00 to live upon the rest of the
year. By the last of May, we were eating our last bushel of flour. My husband
had cleared a small piece of land, and he could not leave it to go out to work
to get something to eat, for he must plant it or go without another year. One
night, my brother came to our house on his way to Genesee. I could not sleep
that night for thinking of our miserable situation. In the morning I
remembered, when we moved in, we passed a house about two miles beyond
Waterville where I saw eighteen hogs plucks hanging up. It occurred to me that,
if they had so many hogs, they must have something else. So I told my husband
that I was going to run away. He asked me where I was going, but I told him I
could not tell him where; I was going to seek my fortune. I filled my satchel
with a few articles of my own manufacture, and started with my brother toward
Genesee. We were all day going fourteen miles. The misquitoes were so thick
that we could not breathe without inhaling them, unless we had something over
our faces. We got out at Mr. Davenport's(for that was where I saw the hogs'
plucks) just about sundown. They gave us some supper and my brother went on.
I told Mrs. Davenport I would like to stay the night with them, but she said
she did not see how she could keep me. I told her I would sleep any place if
she would only let me stay, and she finally consented to do so. She made a bed
on the floor for one of her little girls, and I was assigned a place with her
sister, who, during the night, probably mistaking me for an intruder, turned
her heel battery upon me with such ferocity that I was compelled to retreat as
far as the limits of the bed would permit, and there lay motionless for fear
of another attack. In the morning, I began to press my suit, having laid my
case before them the night before. I told them that we had just moved to the
woods; that our money was all gone; our provisions were nearly exhausted, and
we had no means of procuring more; that I had come out there in search of
something to do that I might earn some flour. Mrs. Davenport said she had no
work for me to do, but told me of several in the neighborhood who hired their
sewing done. Then I exhibited the articles in my satchel--knit caps, knit
edging, and some white painted standcloths. When she saw the edging, she said
that was just the thing she wanted, for she had just bought a damask linen
table-cloth, and wanted that to trim it with. I sold her fourteen yards of the
lace and one of the standcloths, for $3.50. Wasn't I rich then! I felt
wealthier than ever before. I was fourteen miles from home, and expected to go
all the way on foot, but I felt so much lighter that it was a pleasure to walk.
I traveled about six miles that day, and called at every house I came to in
search of work, but none could I find. Night overtook me at the house of a
family named Cobb, and there I remained until the following afternoon, when Mr.
Cobb took me in his wagon to the house of Mr. Churchill, where I stayed all
night. In the morning I explained my business, and told of my success at Mrs.
Davenport's. Mr. Churchill said he was going to Jefferson in a few days, and
would get me some wheat, have it ground, and bring the flour to us. I told him
I had a new pair of boots I brought from York State with me, that were too
small, and that I would let him have them for his wife to pay him for his
trouble. That was just the thing he wanted, so when I got ready to go, he sent
his brother with a team to take me home. You may be sure there was joy in the
camp when I got back and reported what I had done. In a day or two, Mr.
Churchill came along; going to Jefferson, and took my money (which amounted to
$4.00, as I had 4 schillings a man gave me for mending his coat). We had one
bushel of wheat that we intended to sow, but the season was so far advanced we
thought best not to waste it that way. With the $4.00 we got eight bushels of
beautiful winter wheat ground and fetched to our door (and the one we had made
nine bushels), all paid for and Mr. Churchill allowed us 3 shillings in cash to
boot for the boots. This lasted till almost harvest, and Mr. Churchill gave us
an order for a barrel of flour at Jefferson, and that held out til corn was
ripe, and then we had johnny-cake of our own raising.
The following spring, I painted a table-cloth for Mrs.
Davenport, for which he paid me $1.00 and on my way home I met a man (Mr.
Sawyer, of the Sawyer House, Jefferson) who had some hams to sell and with my
dollar I bought a small one, which lasts us till summer, for I did not dare to
cook a piece of it unless a traveler came along and wanted to buy a meal. When
the ham gave out, we had 40 cents, all in cash, and my husband took it and went
to Melinda's Prarie, and boijght five pounds of pork.
The first cow we had cost us $1 1.00. The man from whom we
bought her owed us $5.00, and I sold him my shawl and a fine large pair of
tailors shears to finish paying for her. The first pig we had cost us $1.00.
It was about the size of a cat and my husband carried it in a bag from Golden
Lake, a distance of about eight miles. In September, 1845, our second son, ten
years old, took a very severe cold and almost choked to death before we could
reach a doctor with him. The nearest physician lived at Golden Lake, and when
we got there with our dying child, he was away. Returning the next day, he
said he could do nothing for him, and at 9 o'clock the littl e sufferer passed
away. My heart, still bleeding from my former berevement, was now torn open
afresh. I thought the past was nothing compared with this; for it seemed my
affections had been doubly entwined about our two boys after the others had
been snatched from us. An awful task now lay before us; we must return to our
friends with our dead boy. The doctor's daughter and her husband returned with
us and remained till after the funeral. Two or three weeks later, my husband
was taken with the ague, and was not able to do a days work for three months.
The only son who had been spared to me and myself had to harvest the corn and
draw in the potatoes and turnips and prepare our winter's wood. On the 20th
November 1846, a little Badger boy, weighing eleven pounds, came to our
Before I close this narrative, I will give you a little sketch
of the commencement of religious meetings in these woods. When we moved in,
there was a man and his wife here who were professors of religion. My brother
Davis, my husband and myself completed the little band of five. We began our
prayer-meetings soon after we arrived, and have kept them pretty much ever
since. The first sermon that was ever preached in this place (the town of
Sullivan) was by Brother Allen, a Methodist colporteur, at our house. The
first regular preacher we had was Hiram Frinck, and the first quarterly meeting
was held in my brother's saw mill.

Your friend and well wisher, Betsy M. Sears

From the Jefferson Co Union 1921 RESIDENCE, Etc
Mrs Betsey M Sears married Mr Bicknell in 1881 r 82, removed to Johnston, WI
in the fall of '83; parted from Mr Bicknell, and removed to Star, WI, March
1868; after George died she removed to Rome, WI, Sept, spent a year on George's
claim near Rolfe, IA, 1870-71; returned to Rome, and bought a house there
probably in 1872; sold house, removed to Star, 6 Nov 1885; to Rome, WI, 20 Mar
1891; returned to Star 18 Oct 1892. She bought a home in Star in April 1887,
which she owned until shortly before her death.
Mrs Sears died at Star (La Farge) 17 May 1901, over 41 years after the death
of Silas, living alone much of the time after George died in 1868. It was from
3 Apr 1899(sic) to 14 Mar 1891, that Mrs Nelson lived with her occasionally, at
Star; Mrs Sears maintained herself, with occasional help from her son Lowell,
until she was granted a pension in 1882 as the mother of Geo W. At one time
she had a small printing press; in 1880, she printed a pamphlet of poems,
original and selected. Her needlework was artistic and beautiful though unique
and original, for she made her own patterns and designs. Probably many
specimens of her needlework are still in the communities where she resided,
besides those in the possession of her granddaughters.
Her sight failed gradually and she was at last obliged to give up her beloved
needlework. She was totally blind for several months prior to her death.

Silas and Betsey had the following children:

+ 7630 M i Lowell Clark Sears
  7631 M ii Reuben Seelye Sears was born 24 Apr 1835 in Camden, Oneida, NY. He died 9 Sep 1845 in Rome, Jefferson, WI and was buried in , 3287.

BIRTH: Letter from Carol Aldrich, Tulsa, OK, to Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
1675-1989; Letter dtd 18 May 1994; ; copy in poss of Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
!DEATH: Letter from Carol Aldrich, Tulsa, OK, to Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
1675-1989; Letter dtd 5 Jul 1994; ; copy in poss of Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
CONFLICT: Shows died Genessee, WI 18 Dec 1845.
  7632 M iii David Sanford Sears was born 21 Apr 1839 in Westmoreland, Oneida, NY. He died 18 Dec 1843 in Genesee, WI, WI and was buried in , 3288.

BIRTH: Letter from Carol Aldrich, Tulsa, OK, to Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
1675-1989; Letter dtd 18 May 1994; ; copy in poss of Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;

2 SOUR Carol Aldrich, My #7738 Prodigy #AMMM01A sent information on Betsey
3 CONT Sears, who is a daughter of Daniel Seeley and Betsey Doolittle.
3 CONT Feb. 05, 1994
  7633 F iv Rhoda Ann Sears was born 24 Feb 1842 in Camden, Oneida, NY. She died 17 Dec 1843 in Genesee, WI and was buried in , 3289.

BIRTH: Letter from Carol Aldrich, Tulsa, OK, to Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
1675-1989; Letter dtd 18 May 1994; ; copy in poss of Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
The family was traveling to WI to settle, and stopped at Genesee where the
family lived while Silas looked for suitable land to settle on. While he was
gone David and Rhoda died in a smallpox epidemic.
  7634 M v George M Webster Sears was born 29 Nov 1846 in Rome, Jefferson co, WI. He died 31 May 1868 in Star, WI, WI and was buried in , 3290.

BIRTH: Letter from Carol Aldrich, Tulsa, OK, to Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
1675-1989; Letter dtd 18 May 1994; ; copy in poss of Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
See Betsy Sears narrative, and added notes for Civil War regiment numbers,
picture, etc. I have a xerox copy of the photograph mentioned. He's actually
behind the cannon. He was never married.
He died of TB.

4553. Priscilla Sears (Richard , Richard , Silas , Joseph , Silas , Richard ) was born 28 Jan 1810 in Rome, Oneida, NY. She died 7 Jan 1837 in Henderson, NY and was buried in , 1922.

BIRTH: Letter from Carol Aldrich, Tulsa, OK, to Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
1675-1989; Letter dtd 18 May 1994; ; copy in poss of Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;

Priscilla married Orin Hungerford on 1 Jan 1832 in Rome, NY. Orin was born 1806 in Henderson, NY.

BIRTH: Letter from Carol Aldrich, Tulsa, OK, to Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
1675-1989; Letter dtd 18 May 1994; ; copy in poss of Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;

Orin and Priscilla had the following children:

  7635 M i Orin Hungerford was born 1833 in .

S.P. May Rem to Texas

4555. Walter S Sears (Richard , Richard , Silas , Joseph , Silas , Richard ) was born 19 Oct 1823 in Rome, Oneida, NY. He died in Adrian, MI and was buried in , 1925.

S.P. May p.458 Walter Sears lives in Adrian, MI, and has been for many years
connected with the railroad there.
Mr S has in his possession the powder horn which was carried by his
grand-father at the battle of Bunker Hill, 17 Jun 1775.

BIRTH: Letter from Carol Aldrich, Tulsa, OK, to Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
1675-1989; Letter dtd 18 May 1994; ; copy in poss of Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;

Walter married Sarah A Mills on 13 Nov 1856 in Adrian, MI. Sarah was born 6 May 1833 in MacClesfield, England.

S.P. May p.458 came over in 1841

BIRTH: Letter from Carol Aldrich, Tulsa, OK, to Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;
1675-1989; Letter dtd 18 May 1994; ; copy in poss of Ray Sears, Duncan, OK;

Walter and Sarah had the following children:

  7636 M i Walter E Sears was born 20 Sep 1859 in . He died 20 Oct 1859 and was buried in , 3291.
  7637 M ii George A Sears was born 28 Nov 1862 in Adrian, MI. was buried in , 3292.

S.P. May p.458 clerk in freight office, Toledo, OH
  7638 F iii Mary L Sears was born 7 Oct 1868 in . was buried in , 3293.

4557. Oscar Sears (Orange , Richard , Silas , Joseph , Silas , Richard ) was born 23 Jun 1812 in Arlington, VT. was buried in , 1927.

S.P. May p.458 Oscar Sears lived for a time in W Butler, NY, removing in 1847,
to Venago township, PA, and nowlives in vicinity of Lowville; is a farmer.

Oscar married Mary Moore on 4 Jul 1836 in Valley Falls, NY. Mary was born 1815 in .

They had the following children:

+ 7639 M i George W Sears
+ 7640 M ii John Henry Sears
  7641 F iii Mary Elizabeth Sears was born 1841 in , NY. She died 22 Nov 1841 and was buried in , 3296.
  7642 F iv Charlotte Ann Sears was born 4 Jul 1845 in Butler, NY. was buried in , 3297.
+ 7643 M v William O Sears
  7644 M vi Andrew J Sears was born 7 Jun 1848 in Wattsburg, PA. was buried in , 3299.

S.P. May p.458 he is an inteligent physician and scholar; no children
        Andrew married Ella A Chaffee. Ella was born 1852 in .

S.P. May p.458 a teacher
  7645 F vii Mary Adell Sears was born 30 Sep 1856 in Wattsburg, PA. was buried in , 3300.

S.P. May p.458 m. her half cousin and lives near Lowville, PA
        Mary married Augustus J Grant. Augustus was born 1852 in .

4558. Amanda Sears (Orange , Richard , Silas , Joseph , Silas , Richard ) was born 1 Mar 1815 in Valley Falls, NY. She died 12 Oct 1869 and was buried in , 1928.

Mayfower Index: No 29,887

Amanda married Merritt Purdy on 25 Dec 1836. Merritt was born 1811 in Pittstown, NY. He died 1873.

S.P. May p.308 An honored citizen and J.P.

Merritt and Amanda had the following children:

  7646 M i Charles E Purdy was born 31 Dec 1837 in .

S.P. May p.308 No children
        Charles married Mary Chatfield on 24 Feb 1863.
+ 7647 F ii Maria B Purdy
  7648 F iii Caroline Purdy was born 17 Apr 1842 in . She died 18 May 1845.
+ 7649 M iv Hiram J Purdy

4559. Hiram Sears (Orange , Richard , Silas , Joseph , Silas , Richard ) was born 17 Jul 1818 in Valley Falls, NY. was buried in , 1929.

S.P. May p.459 Hiram Sears removed to IL in 1845, finally settling in
Shelbyville, Shelby co. Is a millwright.

Hiram married Clara M Davis, daughter of Elijah Davis and Mary, on 1 Jun 1842 in Jonesville, NY. Clara was born 1821 in .

They had the following children:

+ 7650 F i Carlie C Sears

4562. Betsy Sears (Silas , Richard , Silas , Joseph , Silas , Richard ) was born 22 Nov 1805 in Schoharie, Schoharie, NY. She died 4 Feb 1874 in Dimock, PA and was buried in , 1929aii.

S.P. May handnotes rem'd to Orwell, PA, 10 Mar 1828; & thence to Dimock, PA, 2
May 1840
!Garford F Williams letter 9 Aug '93 - I figured her birth abt 23 Nov 1805
from the family monument. She was m. in Rensselaer co in 1825 to John WInthrop
Gray. He left this area and went to Schoharie co, NY, where he met betsey.
They had two children. Most of this information was foundin her obituary. The
latter states that she had a sister, Aunt Mary (Sears) Washburn.
In 1850 federal census, with Betsey is her mother Sallie Sears, aged 71 yrs,
born in NY. Sallie died with Betsey, and JW Gray was administrator of her
estate, being appointed 3 Sep 1855. They must have sent her body back to her
home in NY, and settled the estate there.

Betsy married John Gray on 1825 in Dimock, PA. John was born 3 Mar 1803 in Groton, CT. He died 14 Mar 1889 in Dimock, PA.

They had the following children:

+ 7651 M i Jonas Abisha Gray
+ 7652 M ii Silas Philip Gray

4563. Sally Maria Sears (Silas , Richard , Silas , Joseph , Silas , Richard ) was born 4 Apr 1808 in Schoharie, Schoharie, NY. She died 9 Feb 1826 in Shelby, Macomb, MI and was buried in , 1929aiii.

S.P. May handnotes rem'd to Shelby, MI and d. there leaving one child

Sally married Silas Edgecombe, son of Thomas Edgecombe and Unk., in Schoharie, NY. Silas was born 1804 in .

They had the following children:

  7653 M i Silas Asa Edgecumbe was born 1826 in .

4564. Mary Ann Sears (Silas , Richard , Silas , Joseph , Silas , Richard ) was born 30 Jul 1814 in Schoharie, Schoharie, NY. was buried in , 1929aiv.

S.P. May handnotes She lives near Camptown, Bradford co, PA, with her dau. Mrs
Elizabeth H Clark

Mary married Hiram Washburn on 31 May 1831 in Rome Twp, Bradford Co, PA. Hiram was born 1807 in Trumansburgh, Cayuga Lake, NY. He died 1877.

They had the following children:

  7654 M i Silas Henry Washburn was born 23 Sep 1832 in , Unm.
  7655 F ii Sarah Maria Washburn was born 2 Jun 1834 in <, Unm>.
        Sarah married Jesse H Brewster on 1858.
  7656 F iii Ella Washburn was born 22 Dec 1836 in <, Unm>. She died in ae 2.
  7657 M iv Hiram M Sears was born 17 Dec 1837 in <, Unm>. He died 17 Jul 1878 in Unm.
  7658 F v Ellen Washburn was born 14 Oct 1839 in <, Unm>.
        Ellen married Living
  7659 F vi Elizabeth H Washburn was born 18 May 1841 in <, Unm>.
        Elizabeth married (1) Alonzo H Simpson on 1866.

S.P. May handnotes of Seneca Falls, NY, who d. of an accident at Jersey City,
        Elizabeth also married (2) Theodore Clark on 13 Apr 1880. Theodore died 8 Jul 1889.

S.P. May handnotes a soldier in 112 Reg PA VOls
  7660 M vii John Washburn was born 18 Apr 1843 in <, Unm>.

S.P. May handnotes was a soldier in Union army
        John married Living
  7661 M viii Jonas Washburn was born 15 Nov 1845 in <, Unm>. He died 20 Jan 1860.
  7662 M ix George A Washburn was born 17 Mar 1847 in <, Unm>.

S.P. May handnotes Was in Union Army
  7663 M x Charles Washburn was born 10 May 1849 in <, Unm>.

S.P. May handnotes has 2 children
        Charles married Lucy Ross on 1872.
  7664 F xi Mary Ann Washburn was born 3 Jun 1851 in <, Unm>. She died Dec 1870.
  7665 M xii Raymond Washburn was born 22 May 1853 in <, Unm>. He died 19 Oct 1863.
  7666 F xiii Roxanna Washburn was born 6 Sep 1855 in <, Unm>. She died 14 Aug 1871.

Home First Previous Next Last

Surname List | Name Index